Friday, June 20, 2008

Great Morning

Bye, Bye Bottle
This morning I decided to try to get Melqui off his bottle, It's been such a form of comfort for him, it's been hard even thinking of taking it away. Once he bit the top of the bottles nipple off and when I changed it to a new one he sreamed because he knew it wasn't the original one. But the speech therapist said that sucking on his bottle prevents him from speaking right. I bought him a cup (it has a nibble on it, looks some what like a nipple to start the change slow) and well for a few days, even with the therapist, he refused to take it. So this morning I hid his bottle and left the cup full of juice where he was playing and.................nothing! he wouldn't even look at it! Then I decided to take a regular cup and turn his cup up side down and pour the juice from his cup into a reg. cup, and well he drank from the reg. cup, so I praised him...then after doing that 5 -6 times I said "finish" and left his cup on the table w/ juice still in it and I took my cup away...and to my surprise............He drank his cup!!!!!!!!! I started screaming from the kitchen "YAY!!!!!!!" "YOU DID IT, MELQUI!!!" you had to see every time he took a drink, me and my other kids all started cheering him, and he loved it! I'm SO proud!

New York Style Bagels
I found these bagels yesterday at Whole Foods that are gfcf Tapioca New York Style Bagels made by Kinnikinnick. And THEY ARE AWESOME! Melqui always LOVED bagels but the gfcf kind that I found were VERY small and hard. These are bigger, softer and some what sweeter. I toasted one half and put dairy free smart balance "butter" and he LOVED it... I made him the other half and he ate that too... WE FOUND A WINNER!
(and he drank another CUP full of his milk.. he's such a good boy!)

No comments: