Thursday, June 26, 2008

AutismGym

Tuesday 6/24/08
While looking on the internet one day I came across a website called AUTISMGYM.COM. It's a gymnasium here in FL and its held every Tuesday for an hour from 6-7pm. I went for the first time Tuesday night with the family. It was raining that night (it rains here every night during the summer) and I saw some people standing outside the pool area.. It was the founder of the GYM an her son, they were disaapointed because it was lightening out and they werent allowed in the pool.. her son was upset so she was tring to leave without him getting upset. But before she left Me and my husband got a chance to speak with her. She is a very nice lady and she opened autismgym for her son joey,who is now 23. They have a lot of activites to raise money and she is even going to sponsor Melqui to get swimming classes in september, how awesome is that!! I was a little like "oh, my gosh how will they train Melqui to swim?? be she told me that they are going to train the trainers on how to deal with autism.. after thinking a bit I said lets do it. Why not try I thought, Melqui LOVES water so if worse comes to worse and it doesn't work for him we will just stop. It's going to be for 2 wks, 4 times a week. I'm excited!! and the best part is while he is taking lessons my other kids can swim too!!! It's GREAT to find places like this for our kids. Well after speaking with her she said she had to go but that we could go inside the gymnasium and play with the kids for an hour because that hour is always booked for her so we went in with some of her volunteers and my kids had a blast! they played hoolahoop and basketball and all sort of other stuff, it was o nice just seeing Melqui being able to run and sream and have plain fun without people staring at him! and thats exactly what the Lady told me, she said when they go swimming the pool is closed for the public, they open it just for the autismgym and she says its great because the kids scream and have a good time and no one cares how loud they are because everyone there has a speacial needs child and has been there done that.. thats worth driving 30 min a week for!!!! Thank you autismgym!!!

Physical Therapy
Melqui went for his evaluation yesterday for physical therapy and well I guess Melqui is too Physical because he wore them out!! after 30 min they said theres nothing else they need to see and that he doesn't require physical therapy, which is great! that means we are one step closer!!

No comments: